Make cleaning of your CPAP mask and equipment part of your regular routine.
Download our CPAP therapy maintenance guide for tips on cleaning and replacing your CPAP equipment.
Clean your CPAP Mask - Every week
- Disassemble the mask according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Submerge the mask components in a sink or a container of water and wash the mask by hand using an unscented mild soap.
- Rinse all parts with water and dry with a towel or leave to air dry but keep out of direct sunlight.
- Reassemble the mask when all parts are dry.
Mask Replacement - Every 6 months
- Your mask should be replaced every 6 months for hygienic reasons and to ensure a proper mask fit for optimal therapy.
Clean your CPAP Hose - Every week
For optimal use therapy, your CPAP hose should be cleaned weekly.
- To clean, submerge your tubing/hose in warm water and unscented mild soap. Soak for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with water. Hang tubing to dry and ensure it’s fully dry before use.
Hose Replacement - Every 6 months
- Your hose experiences regular wear and tear each night and over time it can become damaged. Regularly inspect the ends of the hose to notice any stretching and damage. Replace the tube if it shows any signs of damage.
Clean your humidifier/water chamber at least once per week
It is important to clean your humidifier water chamber regularly. Stagnant water in the chamber can breed bacteria, which can be breathed in when using your CPAP device.
- After each use, remove the chamber from the machine, empty the water and rinse the chamber out.
- Dry the chamber with a towel or leave it to air dry, but keep it out of direct sunlight.
- Re-fill the chamber with distilled water and attach it back to the machine.
Replace Humidifier - Annually
- Even with regular cleaning, your humidifier will start to have bacteria buildup which may be inhaled and can cause illness.
Clean cushions - Daily
- Wash the mask cushion or seal with warm water and unscented mild soap. Leave it to dry on a towel and out of direct sunlight. Alternatively, you can clean your mask with mask wipes.
Replace cushions - Every 6 months
- Replace your mask cushion or seal every 6 months to maintain the proper mask fit and reduce leakage.
Clean filters - Every week
- Wash and rinse your reusable filter in warm water. Leave to dry on a towel. It’s important that your filter is completely dry before inserting it back into the machine. NOTE: A filter must always be in your CPAP machine when it is in use.
Replace filters - Every 3 Months
- If you live in a dusty environment or have seasonal allergies, you may want to replace your filter more frequently than the recommended 3 months.
Chin Straps and Headgear
Clean straps and headgear - Every week
- Wash your headgear in warm water and unscented mild soap. Rinse with water and leave to dry on a towel and out of direct sunlight.
Replace straps and headgear - At least once per year
- Replace your headgear at least once per year. Over time the headgear will stretch, reducing its effectiveness to maintain a proper mask fit.
Regular maintenance and replacement of your CPAP equipment will ensure you can continue to enjoy the benefits of good therapy and restorative sleep!
1 . DreamStation User Manual Bipap autoSV, Philips
2 . DreamStation User Manual, Philips
3 .AirSense User Manual 10 Autoset, Resmed
4. S.BOX User Manual, Sefam
5. User Manual and Maintenance, ICON +, Fisher&Paykel
6 . Kairin app
7 . Schnirman R. A case of legionella pneumonia caused by home use of continuous positive airway pressure. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. December 5, 2017;5:2050313X17744981
8 . AirFit™ (ResMed)
9 . Manual utilisateur des masques des games EasyFit® (Devilbiss Healthcare)
10. Manual utilisateur des masques des games iVolve™ (BMC)
11 . Manual utilisateur des masques des games Respironics™ (Philips)
12 . Kairin app
13 .User's Manual, DreamStation BiPAP autoSV, Philips
14 .User's Manual, DreamStation Heated Humidifier, Philips
15 .User's Manual, AirSense 10 AutoSet, ResMed
16 .Patient's Manual, S.BOX, Sefam
17 . Use and Maintenance, ICON +, Fisher&Paykel
18 .User's Guide, H5i Heated Humidifier, ResMed
19 . iVolve™ N2 Nasal Mask (BMC) User Guide
20 . AirFit™ N20 Nasal Mask User Guide (ResMed)
21. EasyFit™ SilkGel Full Face Mask User Guide (DeVilbiss Healthcare)
22 . DreamWear Nasal Mask User Guide (Philips)
23 . AirSense™ 10 User Guide (ResMed)
24 . DreamStation™ User Guide BiPAP autoSV (Philips)
25 . S.Box™ User Guide (Sefam)
26 . BLUE™ User Guide (DeVilbiss Healthcare)
Do you need more information?
Please call our toll-free number (24/7).
Send us a message and we'll contact you within 2 business days.
Find a Clinic
Find a location nearest you.